Most brides are not wedding experts. For most people it’s an event you plan only once in your life and you step in and out of the blissful chaos by participating in the occasional wedding party. The lack of knowledge can make the wedding dress shopping experience seem daunting, especially when people start throwing some crazy new words your way!

Godet. Isn’t that a painter?

Blusher. Is that for applying makeup?  

Crinoline. Officially lost.

For all of you frustrated brides out there dreading the wedding dress shopping experience, take a deep breath. This post will solve all your problems, helping you navigate the most confusing wedding dress terms. Let’s get started.


Illusion can refer to the skin-toned tulle or mesh that is used to make the neckline or sleeves appear invisible and still give you the flexibility to create a unique neckline or give the appearance of floating lace.


Photo by Niki Rhodes Photo, Anomalie bride Leslie


Scalloping is a type of lace application identifiable by a series of lace curves gathering at the edge of a fabric. It gets its name from the scallop since it looks like a scallop shell. Scalloping is used to stylize necklines, back details and oftentimes hems on a wedding dress to give that extra touch of dramatic flare and elegance.


Photo by Kimberly Spins Photography, Anomalie Bride, Ada


Watteau, what? It’s a style of train for your wedding dress. What distinguishes a watteau train from other trains (like brush, castilion, cathedral, royal, chapel, and more) is how it connects to the dress. This train comes as a single panel of fabric, attaches at the shoulders and floats down to your hem beautifully.


Photo by Kingdom Come Photography, Anomalie Bride, Isabelle


If you’re all about adding that long, sweeping train to your wedding dress, then one thing you’re going to need is a Bustlea key tool to help you transition from “ceremony dress” (made for walking down the aisle, looking flawless) and  the“reception dress” (made for dancing). There are a number of different styles – from sew-in techniques, ribbons, and hooks – and it saves you the trouble of purchasing an additional dress for the reception. Trust your tailor to take care of this small detail and talk with them about the different ways you can get creative with the bustle on your dress.

Photos by Courtney Bowlden Photography, Anomalie bride Neena


If you’re going sleeveless for your wedding dress, but still want to add a little something over your shoulders, you may want to consider adding a Bolero. A bolero is a type of cropped jacket, often made of a lace overlay or a beaded fabric, and adds to your arsenal of wedding dress accessories.


Photo by Jonnie + Garrett Photography, Anomalie bride Janice


If you’re looking to create a distinctive silhouette look with your wedding gown, consider a Corset to add to your bridal gown. Corsets squeeze and cinch your waist while also clinging tight to your body, held with either hooks, snaps, ribbon, or a simple zipper.


Anomalie co-founder & CEO, Leslie, works in the factory to standardize the construction of our corset.


Want to be a Crinoline queen? Easy. Just add extra layers underneath the dress’s top layers. This extra fabric is usually a harder netting or tulle is also called a petticoat, and allows you to add volume without adding too much weight. Don’t worry about it being uncomfortable against your skin under the dress, there is always a lining that will be silky smooth to the touch.


Photo by Nicki Metcalf Photography, Anomaile Bride Karyn


Nope, not the painter.  This type of Godet is a dramatic style train, typically created with a panel of material – usually in a circular or triangular shape – that you insert into a dress or skirt to create a flare. If you’re looking to add a little bit of volume to your wedding gown, but don’t want to go the way of the crinoline, consider this train style.


Photo by Asia Dore Photography, Anomalie Bride Courtney


Photo by Dabble Me This, Anomalie Bride Maria

Lace Applique.

If you’re thinking an applique has something to do with “applying,” you’re exactly right. An applique is a decorate additive to a wedding dress, usually involving the application of one type of fabric on top of the wedding dress fabric. Some appliques include fabric flowers, lace, tulle, sequins, other types of sparkles, or more intricate pieces – like die-cut appliques.20171007_zozokos_273


Photo by Maddie Blecha Photography, Anomalie Bride Alexandria


No, Blusher isn’t referring to the makeup – but close, it does cover your face. A blusher is the panel that covers the bride’s face when walking down the aisle.  It’s shorter, made from a single layer, and is made to be worn over the face only during the ceremony. After, it flips over the back of the head to create a tiered look in the back or can be removed. Veils come in all shapes and sizes and don’t necessarily have blushers.


Photo by With Love & Embers, Anomalie bride Shayna

Hopefully, this breakdown of confusing terms, will give you the confidence you need to head into your shopping experience and drop some amazing wedding dress vocabulary without batting an eye. Remember: all of these terms and styles aren’t there to stress you out. From crinolines to watteaus, every new style you learn brings you closer to creating the perfect wedding dress personalized just for you.

Stylist Pro Tip: Don’t be intimidated by the often confusing terminology that comes with wedding dress shopping. Schedule a call with a stylist here to find some clarity.